Adult & Child Foster Care Inspections

Environmental Health: General ServicesPHDM is responsible for a variety of services that help keep our environments safe and healthy.  These services include inspections of daycare facilities, foster care homes, body art facilities; response to nuisance complaints; air and water pollution prevention; vector control; environmental contamination response; and land division reviews.  These inspections, assistance in planning, and interventions help to ensure the environment is protected and homes are safe from hazards.  

Environmental Health Services and ProgramsAdult & Child Foster Care Inspections

PHDM conducts Well and Septic Inspections upon request for Adult and Children Foster care homes. Requests come when a new application is received from the issuing agency. Visit the Michigan Department of Health & Human Services (MDHHS) website for more information on Adult and Children's Foster Care.

Smoke Free Air Law

PHDM assists in enforcing Michigan's Smoke Free Air Law.  Michigan residents and visitors are protected from exposure to  secondhand tobacco smoke in all restaurants, bars and businesses  (including hotels and motels), thanks to Public Act 188 of 2009,  Michigan's Smoke-Free Air Law. Visit the Michigan Department of Health & Human Services (MDHHS) website for more information on Michigan's Smoke Free Air Law. 


2023-2024 Food
2023-24 Fees MISC
2023-24 Fees OSTDS & Wells
Contact Us
Have questions or need additional information?

Reach our Environmental Health offices at:

Delta County

(M-F 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Eastern)
Phone: 906-786-9692
Fax: 906-789-8147

Menominee County

(M-F 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Central)
Phone: 906-863-4451
Fax: 906-863-7142

Frequently Asked Questions
EGLE Radon Mitigation Systems Study
The Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Environment’s  (EGLE’s) Indoor Radon Program, in partnership with the American  Association of Radon Scientists and Technologists (AARST), is commencing  a study of radon mitigation systems installed throughout the State of  Michigan. EGLE’s Indoor Radon Program is seeking homeowners with a radon  mitigation system for voluntary participation in the radon mitigation  system study. The goal of this study is to survey existing mitigation systems  installed in the state for radon mitigation effectiveness and overall  build quality as compared to the current AARST mitigation standards. Learn more at: 
Update to Delta County Residents on PFAS Investigation
Environmental Health Applications Descriptions
Raw Land Evaluation

A Raw Land Evaluation (RLE) is performed to determine if a site is suitable for an on-site sewage treatment/disposal system (OSTDS).  PHDM recommends having an RLE before purchasing land that will be developed to ensure you will be able to install an OSTDS at a later date.  The site evaluation form is valid for five years.

On-Site Sewage Treatment/Disposal System Permit

An on-site sewage treatment/disposal system permit is needed when installing a new OSTDS or replacing an existing tank and/or drain field.  Permits are valid for two years from the date of issuance.  

Well Permit

A well permit is needed when drilling a new water well or replacing an existing one.  A well permit is also needed when installing a point water well or when making extensive changes to an existing well, such as deepening the well to a deeper aquifer.  Permits are valid for two years from the date of issuance.

Write-Off Evaluation

A write off evaluation is needed in order to obtain a building permit when an existing on-site sewage treatment/disposal system will be utilized.  Examples would include replacing a mobile or modular home or if a one bedroom addition is made to an existing home.  Write-off evaluations are valid for one year.
Head Lice
Head lice are a common community problem.  If you are worried you or your child may have head lice or has been exposed to someone who does, stay calm!  Visit or click the picture.  There you'll find information about head lice; signs and symptoms; diagnosis and treatment; prevention; and plenty of educational materials.  Remember, personal hygiene or cleanliness has nothing to do with a person getting head lice.  
Bed Bugs
Bed bugs are a growing problem in Michigan and across the United States.  The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services has a great website with information on how to prevent and control bed bugs, including downloadable manuals and booklets.  Click the picture to get started.  Additionally, you can visit for comprehensive bed bug information. 
Opportunity to Serve - Sanitary Code Board of Appeals
Sanitary Code Board of Appeals
Public Health Delta & Menominee Counties is collecting names of Delta and Menominee County residents interested in serving on the Sanitary Code Board of Appeals. These appointments are two-year terms which begin on September 1, 2021.
Section 9.2(2) of the Sanitary Code states in part:
"The appeals board shall be representative of varied interests with subject matter expertise."
If interested, please submit a letter of interest by August 11, 2021 outlining any relevant experience with water wells and/or on-site sewage
treatment/disposal systems to:
Public Health Delta & Menominee Counties
Attn: Environmental Health
2920 College Avenue
Escanaba, MI 49829

Please contact lan Nelson at (906) 786-9692 or with any questions.
Do you want to make a COVID-19 complaint?
If you are wondering who you should call or email to make a complaint about potential COVID-19 violations or unsafe practices, please click the picture to be rerouted to a downloadable pdf document that puts it all together in one convenient list.
Safe Medication Disposal
Do you have unwanted or expired prescription or over the counter medications that you want to dispose of safely?  There are multiple drop off locations in Delta and Menominee Counties.  *Please do not dispose of illegal substances, hydrogen peroxide, or thermometers in drop boxes.*  See below:

Delta County Landfill

(906) 786-9056

5701 19th Avenue North
Escanaba, MI 49829

Mon, Tues, Wed, Fri 8:00am-3:00pm
Thu 8:00am-6:00pm
Sat 8:00am-Noon

Accepts Sharps/Needles. Please package needles/sharps in red sharps containers or seal in empty coffee containers or laundry detergent bottles (rigid plastic) with the covers taped shut. 

Escanaba Department of Public Safety (Lobby)

(906) 786-5911

1900 3rdAvenue North

Escanaba, MI 49829

Does not accept sharps/needles. 

Meijer Pharmacy (in store kiosk)

(906) 233-1100

505 N. 26thStreet

Escanaba, MI 49829

Does not accept sharps/needles.

Walgreens Pharmacy (in store kiosk during pharmacy hours)

(906) 789-0382

2301 Ludington Street

Escanaba, MI 49829

Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.

Saturday 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.

Sunday 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Does not accept sharps/needles.


Menominee Police Department (Foyer)

(906) 863-2656

2511 10thStreet

Menominee, MI 49858

Does not accept sharps/needles. 

Menominee County Sheriff’s Department (Lobby)

(906) 863-2656

831 10thAvenue

Menominee, MI 49858

Does not accept sharps/needles. 
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) provides a comprehensive collection of information about mold, including prevention and clean up on their website.  Visit or click the picture.   You can also call MDHHS at (517) 335-9436 if you need more help.